The Department of Physiology AFMC was established in Aug 1962 in the imposing ‘Wanowarie Barracks’ of the British Army with Wing Commander MK Mookerjee as the first professor and head of department. From its humble beginnings, imparting undergraduate and postgraduate training in Physiology to medical students, the department has come a long way. It has broadened its scope to include training for post graduate dental students, undergraduate and post graduate nursing students, pharmacists, health assistants and bachelors of paramedical technology. The department is also recognized by the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences for PhD. The department prides itself in having its faculty trained in Medical Education Technology and also associated as full time faculty with the Department of Medical Education AFMC and as invited faculty with the Medical Education Technology Cell of the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences Regional Centre Pune.
Apart from its academic expertise, the department has evolved into a center for functional diagnostic support in the fields of cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal and neurophysiology. This functional diagnostic support includes orthostatic stress testing for evaluation of syncope, spirometry for assessment of lung function, Gastro-intestinal manometry and ambulatory pHmetry for evaluation of gastro-intestinal function, body composition analysis, polysomnography and paediatric EEG. The department conducts basic and applied clinical research in collaboration with clinical departments of AFMC, Command Hospital (Southern Command), Military Hospital Cardio Thoracic Center Pune, Army Sports Institute Pune and other centers like the High Altitude Medical Research Centre at Leh. Undergraduate research is encouraged and promoted in the form of Short-term Student project under the aegis of the Indian Council of Medical Research
RECENT ACHIEVEMENTS OF DEPARTMENT
- Col Anuj Chawla was awarded the Best Teacher in Physiology for 2013 by the Association of Physiologists & Pharmacologists of India.
- Col Anuj Chawla stood first in MOSCC-113 and was awarded ARTRAC Rolling Trophy & Lt Gen AK Dev Challenge Trophy for the Best Officer.
- Lt Col SP Singh was selected to present his research at the World Congress of Military Medicine at Jeddah Saudi Arabia in Dec 2013.
- The Physiology department of AFMC successfully managed to effect a change in the I MBBS Physiology curriculum of the MUHS by introducing CPR as a practical in the Physiology syllabus replacing an obsolete practical on artificial respirationwef 2014.
- Col Anuj Chawla successfully completed a two year fellowship in Medical Education from the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), Philadelphia, USA
- Col Anuj Chawla was invited reviewer for Guyton Textbook of Medical Physiology South Asian Addition.
- Col Anuj Chawla was invited faulty in ‘Early Clinical Exposure and the Ist MBBS Physiology curriculum – a SWOT analysis’ - Annual Conference of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India– NIMHANS Bengaluru Nov 2013
- . Col Anuj Chawla was invited faculty in ‘Evaluation of Upper Gastro-Intestinal function: Challenges and Opportunities’ - Annual Conference of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India– NIMHANS Bengaluru Nov 2013
- Col Anuj Chawla was nominated in an expert committee of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to address the health challenges of the AmarnathYatra 2013. The efforts of this team resulted in the AmarnathYatra having the lowest mortality figures in a decade.
- Lt Col SP Singh was invited faculty for – ‘Focus of research in High Altitude: Current status and further directions’ CEP on ‘Physiology in service of soldier’ DIPAS New Delhi 2013.
- Wg Cdr Deepanjan Dey was invited faculty for - ‘Neurophysiological aspects of the vestibular apparatus during aviation and space induced challenges’ 59thAnnual Conference of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India– NIMHANS Bengaluru Nov 2013
- Wg Cdr DeepanjanDey was invited faculty for ‘Autonomic evaluation during aero-physiological stresses' - Directorate of Science and Technology, Govt of India sponsored Pre-conference workshop – APPICON 2013. Institute of Aerospace Medicine, Bangalore 27 Nov 13.
- Col Anuj Chawla was awarded ML Gupta Award for excellence in Medical Education – 2014 (Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India)
- Lt Col SP Singh & Surg Cdr Gaurav Sikri were invited faculty for CME on High Altitude Medicine org by HQ NC in Aug 2014
- Col Anuj Chawla was invited faculty for workshop on Competency based medical curriculum for undergraduate courses – NCHPE 2014 at MGIMS, Wardha.
- MCI inspection of this department was successfully conducted for increased PG seats in Jun 2014.
- Lt Col SP Singh attended 19th International Hypoxia Symposium 2015 at Lake Louise, Canada from 03-08 Mar 2015.
- 37 Medical Cadets of A3 batch got distinction in Physiology in I MBBS MUHS Examination, Jun 2015.
- Col Anuj Chawla was nominated as faculty for the Masters in Health Professions Education course started by the MUHS in Aug 2015 in technical collaboration with the University of Michigan, USA