The Department of Radiodiagnosis & Imaging was incorporated into formation of the Armed Forces Medical College in 1948, through its forerunner - the School for Radiographers. This department has since grown in stature and today provides training to X-Ray technicians (Class-III & II), Radiographers (Radiographers Remustering Course) as well as diploma and BPMT under the ageis of MUHS .MBBS students (VI & VII term) are taught the basics of conventional radiology and Imaging and Advanced Course students undergo training for MD in Radiodiagnosis. The department is also involved in conducting lectures for various courses conducted at AFMC like MOJCC, SDO Courses, B Sc (Ortho) Nursing etc.
This department provides Radiological, Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional services to sixteen wards from Command Hospital (SC) Pune; it also caters for imaging services to Artificial Limb Centre, OPD patients of Command Hospital (SC) from surgery and allied specialities. Referred cases from MH Kirkee, MH Khadakwasala and MI Rooms of ASPT, MITS, Sports Medicine Centre, CME, BEG, Air Force Station Lohegaon, IAT and other units are also part of the clientele.
- Undergraduates : Lectures in basic radiology covering all body systems are taken for VI and VII term students. There is also one week of practical training where the students are made observers in various imaging modalities including MRI.
- Postgraduates: The MUHS has increased the MD (Radiodignosis ) seats to 7 for with effect from 2011. The training Schedule for PG Residents are as follows:
|Basic medical sciences
|Command Phase at Command Hospital(SC)
|Final Phase at AFMC
- Training in Plain Radiography & Special Investigations, US, Colour Doppler, Mammography, CT, MRI and DSA on rotation
- Practical training at AFMC, CH(SC) & MH(CTC)
- Academic Activities for Post Graduate Residents are as as follows:
|Department Seminar / symposium
||Every Tuesday & Friday
|Film reading sessions
|IRIA Pune Chapter meet
||Once a month
- The department is also actively involved in conducting various radiographer technician courses for defence personals (PBORs). The course content covers physics, radiography , anatomy and physiology, USG, CT & MRI technology. They are given on the job training at AFMC, CH(SC) & MH(CTC). The courses conducted are as follows.
|Radiographers Remustering course
|Class III X ray Asst course
| BSc Degree / Diploma (BPMT) courses affiliated to MUHS Nashik
Further, please follow the link to view the various imaging facilities available in this department.